This Christmas Eve, instead of our usual favorite Lemon Garlic Orzo side dish, we cooked a side dish of roasted small potatoes. We found a useful recipe here and modified it just a bit — and the results were wonderful!
There’s certainly nothing particularly healthy or low-fat about this recipe – but it’s so simple and results in some great small potatoes!
(Added: December 26, 2005)
- 3 lbs of mixed small (1 inch) potatoes (Yukon Gold, Fingerling and Red)
- 1/3 C olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set aside 2 tablespoons butter for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes in half. Toss the potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Using a no-stick coated rimmed cookie sheet, place the potatoes “face down” in the pan. If you have some extras, just create a bit of a second layer with those potatoes also facing down.
- Roast in the oven for 55 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the over, add the butter (using two 1 TBSP chunks is fine – don’t worry about spreading the butter around). Return to the oven for five minutes.
- Remove from the oven, toss well into a serving bowl and serve immediately. It couldn’t be simpler!