This Sunday dinner is perfect when BBQ season has arrived. This afternoon in Menlo Park was ideal – light up the Weber BBQ (charcoal version) and go! The ingredients are super simple: a Santa Maria-seasoned Tri-Tip from Trader Joe’s (or your favorite alternative) and a package of one of those Caesar Lite pre-packaged salads.
For a 5:30 PM dinner, start this at about 4 PM. You’ll have plenty of time to read the Sunday papers in between while things are happening. Add a bottle of your favorite red or chilled white wine and you’re truly good to go! Serves 2.
(Added: March 26, 2006 – Menlo Park, California)
- 1 Trader Joe’s Santa Maria Seasoned Tri-Tip Top Sirloin
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package of Fresh Choice Caesar Lite pre-packaged salad greens and dressing
- Red or chilled white wine to accompany salad
- Coat both sides of the tri-tip in coarse sea salt. Add a bit of coarse ground pepper to both sides as well.
- Fire up the Weber charcoal grill. When the coals are ready (20-30 minutes after lighting), push them all to one side of the grill for indirect heating.
- Place the tri-tip over that portion of the grill without hot coals underneath. Cook for 50 minutes. Periodically monitor the temperature and adjust the top and bottom vents so that it stays within the range of 350-450 degrees.
- Remove the tri-tip from the BBQ and place on a platter and cover with aluminum foil. Let it rest for 20 minutues to allow the juices to blend into the meat.
- While waiting for the tri-tip, make the salad. Add some pickle and tomato chunks as available to the salad. Season with coarse ground pepper. Add the salad dressing and mix well with two tablespoons.
- Slice the tri-tip into strips across the grain. Slice the strips into “bite size” chunks suitable for the salad. Plan to use about 1/2 of the tri-tip for this meal and to save the remaining half for another meal in a day or two.
- Serve the salad with the wine. Yum!