I noticed a tweet from @dreetje earlier in the week suggesting some prompts to use with ChatGPT to prompt some additional insights into a particular topic. With slight modification, I gave it a try on Google Bard – asking it to help me with some additional insights into the subject of the future of work in the context of large language models.
Google Bard responded below to my initial prompt telling it that was the subject I wanted to discuss. Interesting how it set the stage for further discussion:
Large language models (LLMs) are a type of artificial intelligence (AI) that are trained on massive amounts of text data. This allows them to generate text, translate languages, write different kinds of creative content, and answer your questions in an informative way. As LLMs become more sophisticated, they are likely to have a significant impact on the future of work.
One of the most significant impacts of LLMs is likely to be on the automation of jobs. LLMs can already perform many tasks that are currently done by humans, such as writing reports, translating documents, and answering customer service questions. As LLMs become more powerful, they are likely to be able to automate even more tasks. This could lead to widespread job losses in some industries, such as customer service, data entry, and writing.
However, LLMs are also likely to create new jobs. For example, LLMs will need to be developed, trained, and maintained. This will create jobs for AI engineers, data scientists, and machine learning experts. In addition, LLMs will be used in new and innovative ways, which will create new jobs in a variety of industries.
Overall, the impact of LLMs on the future of work is likely to be mixed. Some jobs will be lost, but new jobs will also be created. It is important to start thinking about how to prepare for the changes that LLMs are likely to bring.
Here are some things that individuals and businesses can do to prepare for the future of work in the context of LLMs:
- Develop new skills. As LLMs automate more tasks, it is important to develop new skills that cannot be easily automated. These skills could include critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving.
- Become more adaptable. The pace of technological change is accelerating, so it is important to be adaptable and willing to learn new things. This will help you to stay ahead of the curve and find new opportunities in the changing job market.
- Collaborate with LLMs. LLMs are powerful tools that can be used to improve productivity and efficiency. Rather than seeing LLMs as a threat, businesses should embrace them and use them to their advantage.
The future of work is uncertain, but it is clear that LLMs are going to have a significant impact. By preparing for the changes that LLMs are likely to bring, individuals and businesses can position themselves for success in the years to come.
I then used this prompt to elicit some additional insights:
For that topic, start by thinking to yourself about the following questions and answer them for the given text, and the other answers:
- This reminds me of …
- This is part of …
- This is similar to 1 because …
- This is different from 1 because …
- This is important because …
- This came from .. (which ideology, origin of this idea in general)
- This is really about …
Google Bard replied (third draft):
Sure, I can do that. Here are my answers to your questions:
- This reminds me of the Industrial Revolution. The Industrial Revolution was a period of great technological change that led to the automation of many tasks that were previously done by hand. This led to widespread job losses in some industries, but it also created new jobs in other industries. LLMs are likely to have a similar impact on the future of work.
- This is part of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The Fourth Industrial Revolution is a period of technological change that is characterized by the development of artificial intelligence, robotics, and other new technologies. These technologies are likely to have a profound impact on the future of work, as they automate more and more tasks.
- This is similar to the Industrial Revolution because both periods of technological change led to the automation of tasks and the creation of new jobs. However, the Fourth Industrial Revolution is likely to have an even greater impact on the future of work, as the technologies involved are more powerful and sophisticated.
- This is different from the Industrial Revolution because the Fourth Industrial Revolution is happening at a much faster pace. This means that workers will have less time to adapt to the changes, and it could lead to more widespread job losses.
- This is important because it has the potential to change the way we work. LLMs could automate many tasks that are currently done by humans, which could lead to widespread job losses. However, LLMs could also create new jobs, and they could help us to be more productive and efficient.
- This came from the idea that technology can be used to improve our lives. The Industrial Revolution was driven by the idea that machines could do work more efficiently than humans. The Fourth Industrial Revolution is driven by the idea that artificial intelligence can be used to solve problems that were previously thought to be impossible.
- This is really about the future of work. The Fourth Industrial Revolution is likely to have a profound impact on the way we work. LLMs are just one of the technologies that are likely to change the way we work. We need to start thinking about how we can prepare for these changes, and how we can ensure that everyone benefits from the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
Nick Milo uses these prompts during his sensemaking sessions as part of what he teaches called Linking Your Thinking. You capture a note on something that triggers your mind to want to explore it more. You might use these prompts to help you begin that exploration – and add your own insights to whatever you initially captured. Using Google Bard to help kickstart that process might help accelerate one’s thinking even more.
You must log in to post a comment.