Last updated: November 30, 2014.
Someone once said “A good man is known by his tools!” Here are mine – the tools that I most enjoy using and that I feel are worthy to recommend to my friends.
- Fujifilm X100T – Purchased in November 2014 as an upgrade to my X100S. The perfect street photography camera – 35mm equivalent field of view, discreet, beautiful, silent, with superb image quality. It doesn’t get much better than that! I’m also using the Fujifilm TLC-X100 Tele Conversion Lens
which provides a 50 mm equivalent frame of view to the X100T.
- iPhone 6 – Purchased in September 2014 as an upgrade to my iPhone 5s. The camera that’s always with me – and which takes amazing shots!
- Fujifilm X-T1 – Purchased in March 2014, the Fujifilm X-T1 is a step up from the X-E2 (see below). Using the same sensor and providing almost the same optical performance, the X-T1 has a different – and better – feel than the X-E2. It’s got a larger front grip which makes the camera easier to hold – and the new, larger electronic viewfinder on the X-T1 is a thing of beauty. And, or course, the beautiful industrial design of Fuji makes the X-T1 such a cool looking camera. I’m loving having switched from Canon/Nikon DSLRs to the Fuji’s – smaller, more affordable cameras – and lenses – with great optical performance. What’s not to like?
- Canon PowerShot S100 – this camera goes with me almost everywhere (it’s tucked in my backpack). I’ve also owned and highly recommend the earlier versions in this series: Canon PowerShot S90 and Canon PowerShot S95.
Over the years, I’ve owned some great cameras and lenses. Here’s my collection of gear that I’ve owned – and loved – that is no longer in my active collection of gear. The comments are from the time they were active in my collection.
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II – my “serious” camera. A great digital SLR for serious work – both image and video.
- Nikon D600 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera with 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Lens – Purchased in October 2012, this is my first Nikon camera body. I was particularly interested in the new sensor (made by Sony) in this camera – with an ability to handle a greater dynamic range of light. So far, I’m impressed – see my images shot with the Nikon D600.
- Fujifilm X100S 16 MP Digital Camera – Purchased in August 2013, this is my first rangefinder body. It’s sheer delight – a camera that works beautifully and, with its single fixed focal length lens, challenges my creativity. In the classic Leica spirit, Fuji did a superb job on this camera! See my images shot with the Fujifilm X100S.
- Fujifilm X-E2 – Purchased in November 2013, the Fujifilm X-E2 is a great complement to the X100S. It offers removable lenses while using the same APS-C X sensor and menu system as the X100S. It also has similar external mechanical controls for shutter speed and aperture. See my images shot with the Fujifilm X-E2!
- My iPhone 5s – always in my pocket with a GREAT camera and great camera/photo applications! Checkout my VSCO Grid or my Instagram mobile photography posts.